Tuesday, September 1, 2009

TWD: espresso cheesecake brownies (aka cheesenies or chownies)

Photobucket

I love brownies and I love cheesecake so a cheesecake brownie seems like a match made in heaven. We could rename these cheesenies or chownies for simplicity sake. (Let me know your favorite. I'm leaning toward cheesenies.) My dad used to buy me whole cheesecakes at Costco and I would eat a slice a night. I would usually eat the first 3/4 of the slice (my favorite part) and he would eat the last 1/4 (the crust part - his favorite part). My metabolism isn't quite what it used to be so I no longer have whole cheesecakes sitting in the freezer but I won't say no to a slice. Despite my love of cheesecake, I've never made one myself. I guess I've always been happy with what I can get from Costco or Trader Joe's. The cheesecake layer for this brownie was my first foray into cheesecake. I must say it isn't very difficult. I see the possibility of frozen cheesecakes in my future.

Photobucket

I didn't do the glaze on these brownies because one more dirty bowl was not appealing and they look pretty without the sour cream glaze. These didn't have a very strong coffee flavor which was nice for me as I'm not a huge fan but Pete, who is a huge fan, was a bit disappointed. Although these aren't a favorite for me and don't come close to the crownie they were still good and they have been disappearing from the fridge. Pete liked them. Dad liked them. Charlie thought they were alright (after he ate 5). Willa prefers her tarter control cookies. And if someone offered me one, I wouldn't say no.

Photobucket


Here are Willa and Charlie after enjoying their cheesenies. This is what happens if you eat five. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Photobucket

Thanks to Melissa of Life In a Peanut Shell for picking this week's recipe. Check out her blog for the recipe. Also head over to Tuesdays with Dorie and see what the other baker's did with this recipe. I'm hoping there will be a cupcake.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like success to me- they look really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your layers are lovely, Kimmie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm in awe of those pictures... okay, of the brownies too! But I have to admit, the pictures are killers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! "after he ate 5" . . HAHA!

    I haven't eaten these yet but I can imagine them being so-so as well.

    Yours look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie just finished the last one. He's now passed out on the lounge chair on the patio with his stomach hanging off each side. Oh, to be a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are enjoying baking with the TWD group so far. Your cheesecake brownies look fabulous! Cute pic of your animals... that's about what I felt like after I had a few of these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your brownies look great! I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...your Siamese cat is gorgeous.

    Your chownies are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty, pretty brownies. I love your story about sharing cheesecake with your dad. I don't like cheesecake, but I always make my dad take the corner piece of any baked good -- I like the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in love with your stack of chownies. Looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I vote for Chownies! Nice job on this one. I can't believe you've never made a cheesecake. Try Dorie's...you won't be sorry!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cheesnies! Love it.
    I thought the brownies were a tad dry. I made them three times. The third time I used the Hepburn brownies. MUCH better. Even better a day later. The boys are eating up the dry ones, just like your "kids"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yours look fantastic! I really love your stack of brownies - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha those tartar control cookies do sound mighty tasty... might have to steal one from the dog hahaha! The brownies look awesome, though... such perfect layers, such perfect swirling... and I'm totally loving the cheesnies.. but chownies is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. willa and charlie are a good color combo together. i like how you coordinated your pets! in fact, they almost match the brownies...great layering and swirls, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your brownies look fab. Good call on leaving off the topping. LOL at Willa and Charlie - love those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm, hard to choose...I think I like "chownies" but I could go either way! They look great, glad you loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look absolutely perfect. Glad 'the family' liked them.

    I would do with cheesenies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Somehow I missed stopping by last week. So happy I caught up these week as it was great to see your brownies...they look so fun all stacked up...great job on those!

    ReplyDelete