
Internet I need a little help. This summer when Pete's parents came to visit they came with a pile of old photos. These are photos that belong to Pete's Gramma and that will be included in a book she and Pete are working on about her life. I scanned all the pictures back in June and haven't had the opportunity to do anything with them until now. So last night I started editing the photos and giving them some photoshop love. For the old black and white photos I can't decide if I like them in black and white or sepia.
Thoughts? This is Pete's Gramma with her three oldest daughters, Marge, Lil and Robin (Pete's mom) when they lived in New York.

Do you like the sepia tone more?

Here is Pete's Gramma looking fabulous. Black and white?

Sepia?
The three little girls in matching outfits. So cute. This photo I didn't crop and left in a lot of the background.
This one I cropped to make the girls stand out more. Which do you like better?
Is sepia better?
The final question is whether you like a border with a torn picture look or no border.
I have a lot of pictures left to edit but I wanted some advice before I did too many. So are we loving the plain black and white or do we like the pictures with a little sepia coloring? Do we like cropped or uncropped? Borders or no borders? I have a hard time making decisions and could continue making different versions of these pictures forever. So, thoughts?






I kind of like the black and white better. I like them cropped, too. But I do like the one where you didn't crop the girls. Are these just going in a album? Blow up and put in frames? That would help in deciding if they are going to be blown up and framed with the color. I'm no good at that kind of thing either.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos though!
i also think i prefer the black & white...and no border. they look great!
ReplyDeleteI really think the black and whites sort of have more impact. And, I like the photos without borders best. They look cleaner somehow, more immediate and clear. All are charming evocative photos . . .
ReplyDeleteYour blog is beautiful!
Jane
I love the black and white. They have so much impact. And I think the torn border looks a little fake. Since you're dealing with vintage family treasures, I say honor them by keeping them plain and uncomplicated. They're great photos, so whatever you decide to do with them, it will be fabulous!
ReplyDeleteOn one hand, I personaly really like the sepia, but maybe only because I'm not from that era and the copperish tones make them look even older to me, almost romantic and surely very representative of the idea I have of that time. But on the other hand, the pictures are not ment for me... I mean, if they are a present for someone who's on them, and remembers them a certain way... has lived through them in black and white, then perhaps that person would like them better in their original state (especially that older people are usually not fond of change (giggles)). I'm not of great help I'm sorry... I'm always oversentimental when it comes to such questions - my emotions override my objectivity.
ReplyDelete