
We have a winner. Pete declared that this was his favorite recipe so far. It knocked the coconut-roasted pineapple dacquoise right off its pedestal. Pete didn't have too much else to say because he was too busy stuffing it in his mouth. Although when I mentioned taking a couple pieces to work to get rid of them he told me that I wasn't allowed.
I've been enjoying this tart too. I had chips and salsa and a piece of tart for dinner last night. I figured the salsa (homemade) totally counts as a vegetable and I had the tart with a glass of milk so I got some calcium and protein. Very healthy and very delicious.
This tart is a bit intimidating with its pastry crust, caramel filling and ganache top, but if you pulled this baby out at a dinner party everyone would bow down and worship at your feet. Seriously. It's that good. I surprisingly had no problems with the tart dough or the caramel. My problem arose with the ganache. Um, yeah I know that was the easiest step. The kitchen gods were just knocking me back down to earth, they don't want me getting too cocky. I boiled my cream and added half to the chopped chocolate and delicately stirred in little circles as directed and all was well. I added the second half of the cream and repeated. All was still well. I added the butter and all was very very bad. Curdled greasy lumpy chocolate. Not appetizing. More stirring wasn't helping plus Dorie says don't over stir or it won't be satiny and shiny. After some whimpering and some mad googling with no helpful results I thought I would just attack it with a whisk. It worked. It was no longer greasy and curdled but smooth and shiny. Take that kitchen gods. Hah.
I used hazelnuts instead of peanuts because I have an aversion to peanuts. Plus hazelnuts, caramel and chocolate together equals yummy. I will make this recipe again and people will fall at my feet and worship. (Willa counts as a person right?)
Thanks to Carla of Chocolate Moosey for picking this super delicious dessert. Visit her blog for the recipe and to ogle all the other delicious things she bakes up. Head on over to Tuesdays with Dorie to read about the adventures the other bakers had making this tart.



I'm so glad that this was a big hit at your house. If it's #1 on your hubs list, wow, that's a big deal!
ReplyDeleteOh, chips & salsa for dinner with this dessert following is a meal that I recognize all too well!
Good Lord, this looks fantastic. Oh, man.
ReplyDeleteIs a license required before one is allowed to make and serve this?? Utter deliciousness.
Gorgeous photos!
;)
Jane
I see the absent dog is in a diabetic coma... LOL LOL LOL kidding. I know not to feed chocolate to a dog... but I have a hard time imagining how one could even keep such goodness away from anyone! LOL
ReplyDeleteP.s.: for the pics under - sepia looks richer, sunnier, softer and almost velvety. Black and whites looks more like "war times", a bit sadder, unidimensional and even bland. I think the question more than about their appearence is to know... what would make the receiver the happiest.
Hazelnuts would be so good in this. Your pictures are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBEST... DESSERT... EVER!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the photos and the tart! You have the most perfect looking crust...I need work on that, so am way envious of your crust abilities. It all looks wonderful, and the guys here would agree with Pete...it's probably number 1 or close to it.
ReplyDeleteI bow down and worship you at your feet, Kim.
ReplyDeleteYou are too incredible for words.
It looks just fabulous! Glad that you were able to whip the ganache into shape.
ReplyDeleteI think your dinner sounds quite delicious and well-balanced.
Sounds like the perfect dinner. Salsa is vaggie. Chips have corn (or flour). Milk sounds just right. Yep! Good dinner!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd the tart is beautiful. Glad you got the ganache under control.
wow this looks delicious! the photos are awesome. glad I found your blog. I prefer hazelnuts to peanuts :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVED this with the hazelnuts. And hazelnuts are rich in Vitamin E. Totally healthy.
ReplyDeleteWas this tart not the tastiest?! Love your photos of how perfect yours turned out and I laughed at how you overcame the kitchen Gods, making the ganache perfect...YUM!
ReplyDeleteIt was a big hit at my hous too. I love the caramel!
ReplyDeleteToo funny! Your tart, for all your trouble, looks fabulous! And, love your dinner. My lunch was a slice of the tart and a cup of coffee. Coffee's a bean right, and beans are veggies, right? :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks amazing Kim! And salsa is absolutely a vegetable!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget that chocolate has anti-oxidants! Add that to your rationalization list and your dinner was a complete meal! I'm glad this was such a hit at your house, and I fully expect you'll have people falling at your feet shortly!
ReplyDeleteI am already thinking that this might be added to the dessert table at Thanksgiving or Christmas. So good! I used the chocolate crust this time around, but next time I will try the plain version. Can't wait for next time! Fantastic job.
ReplyDeleteheehee-- my dinner tonight was chips w/spinach dip and salsa and the last piece of this tart too
ReplyDeletei guess great baking minds think alike!
Your tart looks great! I would never have guessed you had trouble with the ganache. I had major trouble with the crust but I will definitely make again.
ReplyDeletethat tart is beautiful! i must try this recipe.
ReplyDeleteWow, your photos are fab. I didn't get to make this YET, but certainly will. Great review and YUMMMM! Having a little giveaway on my blog.
ReplyDeleteNow this is wonderful!!! What a nice looking crust - the photos really capture the beauty of it. Chocolate looks phenomenal - never give away the "disasters"! :) NIcely done!
ReplyDeletefantastic...and with hazelnuts, too! i love how you think out your meals..making sure you get in your calcium, veg, etc!
ReplyDeletei think i just drooled all over my keyboard. this is the prettiest tart i've ever seen!!!!
ReplyDeletei wish my caramel was ooey gooey like yours, but i think i over-boiled mine. live and learn, right?
There was butter in the ganache? Oops.
ReplyDeleteI love your addition of hazelnuts. Your photos are so inviting!