
I had a tough day at work today (Monday) and I'm feeling beat down so I'm going to keep this week's short and sweet. I just want to curl up on the couch under my electric blanket with Willa and Charlie and my new smooshy pillow and maybe some cheap cinnamon doughnuts. (I must apologize for the photos. I didn't get around to frying this dough until 7:00 on Sunday night so I had to use the flash and I really hate using the flash.)
What is Mrs. Vogel's Scherben you may be asking? I asked the same question. Turns out Mrs. Vogel's Scherben are fried dough strips. The dough is pretty simple and doesn't have much in it and barely any sugar. After frying the strips you coat them in cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar before serving. It is imperative that you use A LOT of cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar because the dough strips taste like nothing. Pete made the comment that these really are just a way to eat cinnamon sugar. I ate one that did not have enough sugar on it and it was not very good. These weren't super popular at our house. I had a few that were totally coated in sugar but it wasn't hard to walk away. I think I would rather just have a spoonful of cinnamon sugar.
Thanks to Teanna of Spork or Foon? for picking this recipe. Although it wasn't a hit I'm glad I gave it try and I got to fry some stuff. Always fun. Check out Teanna's blog for a lot of really pretty photos, yummy recipes and witty writing. Also head over to Tuesdays with Dorie to see what all the other bakers thought of the scherben.


Thank you so much Kim, for visiting me while I was gone... I can always count on you! And appreciate that very much...
ReplyDeleteWishing you and your family and that beautiful dog of yours, a happy new year... and many more of those amazing little fried thingies I wish we could share together over a cup of tea!
Aw. Sorry these weren't a hit. On a cold snowy day in Toronto, they really hit the spot.
ReplyDeleteWell, I think you still took some great photos! I thought these were a little addicting. You're right, they don't taste that great, but like a potato chip, I just couldn't eat only one. This is why I just don't make fried food!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that work is bringing you down -- I hope it gets better. I'm also sorry that these weren't a big hit for you; but you're right, it's a fun experiment.
ReplyDeleteLooks wonderful.
ReplyDeleteGreat lookin scherben
ReplyDeleteWell, at least you tried them, right? They look pretty tasty.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool that you made these! They look AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteBut personally, I'd rather make churros. YUM!
You're super fab, Kim!
Definitely can't make these too often. I hesitated but it was a non-chocolate week and we really need to support non-chocolate weeks, right? Well, that was my rationalization for making and eating some of these! I don't know why I liked them, but I did. Guys, fortunately wolfed them down in no time so my crime was only a misdemeanor. Yours look wonderful. Now, what is this new smooshy pillow you have...that sounds really appealing!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you didn't like these and I am even more sorry that you are sick! But electric blankets are awesome :) Thanks for frying along with me this week!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like these turned out really well! :) Even if they were eh they at least were a vehicle for the cinnamon sugar!
ReplyDeleteWhile these were not a hit, I enjoyed the cinnamon and sugar mess left behind in the kitchen. I was hoping for something like a churro...
ReplyDeleteThey look good! Not so good to eat on the couch with the electric blanket and comfy pillow, though. Too much flying sugar! I ate most of mine over the sink!
ReplyDeleteThese were definitely all about the sugar. That's why my husband liked them. Hope your week improves!
ReplyDeleteSorry you had a bad day today. And, sorry you didn't care for these. Most everyone seemed to like them. I haven't tried them yet. Was out of town till last night and decided to skip this week.
ReplyDeleteHope the rest of the week goes better at work Kim.
ReplyDeleteYour scherben look great! I agree with you - they were pretty bland plain but with the powdered sugar, I was a fan. They were completely addicting! Sorry they weren't a hit for you guys.
i've had cinnamon toast like every morning since i fried these, just craving cinna-sugar! hope the crappines at work lets up. :(
ReplyDeleteGet better, Kim. We need you lively like you usually are in your posts.
ReplyDeleteSorry you didn't care for these. They look delish.
You did a great job cooking these, and cinnamon sugar is always comforting anyway!
ReplyDelete