Tuesday, January 19, 2010

TWD: chocolate oatmeal almost-candy bars

Photobucket

I made Dorie's chocolate oatmeal almost-candy bars on Sunday and after I cut them Pete grabbed one and munched it down and thought it was super delicious. The different layers of the cookie reminded him of a geological cut (who knows where he comes up with stuff) and he dubbed these "land cakes." So the land cakes were a big hit.

Photobucket

I made a full recipe which makes A LOT. Way too many for just Pete and I. Pete is making some good progress on putting the land cakes in his tummy but we are trying to give some away too so his belly doesn't grow too much.

I put the pan of the land cakes in the fridge to cool and forgot about them until a few hours later. I had to chisel around the edges of the bars to get them out of the pan. Fortunately they are soft and chewy when you bite into them.

Photobucket

Pete was nice enough to take photos of the cut bars for me and he is to thank for the giant tower of land cakes.

Photobucket

I'm glad these were a hit. Thanks to Lillian of Confectiona's Realm for picking out this tasty treat. You can find the recipe on Lillian's blog. Also check out what all the other bakers thought of these land cakes over at Tuesdays with Dorie.

19 comments:

  1. This really did make a ton of cookies. I love the tower! Glad they were a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. I haven't made these yet, but I will later today.

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tower of 'land cakes'! I made half a recipe and still seem to have a ton, despite the number I've been eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - land cakes is a perfect name for these! Yours turned out great - I loved these, and had to make sure I gave most of them away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freeze them and enjoy in small doses.
    I love your tower/ land formation! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Land cakes! How funny! They look great! These are so good I am glad I gave most of them away! Thanks for noticing the new header...it's a picture of the end of our driveway, early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your land cakes look marvelous Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great, but oh my, that would be a lot of bars for two people! You can always freeze some if you don't give them away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Ah! Love the grand canyon picture of the land cake! WOW! What a display of architectural incertitude!

    I'm glad to say they were a big hit here too... only I was safe, and made only half the recipe (things that don't make you go hum, but do throw you in diabetic coma! LOL LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you always come up with some other fun name for these and I love the stacked pile of Land Cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww, Land cakes! They look perfect! I left out the nuts and mine came out pretty good, but probably could have used a little crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a mountain of land cakes! I love them! Gorgeous job - I love that shot of the bars still in the pan and the sun is hitting the tops perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always look forward to the fun nicknames that you and Pete christen the TWD desserts with. Land cakes is a great name, and they really do look like a geological cross section, don't they? These are such tasty cookie-bar things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the new name for these yummy bars "land cakes" is less wordy than the original.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I almost missed this wonderful tower. How did you get them all to stack up like that without falling over? You have talents we not yet know. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm betting pete kicks butt at jenga! these look great, but too dangerous to have a full recipe around!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yours look perfect. I like them piled high! Land cakes! HAHA!

    Thank goodness I halved the recipe because I would have eaten them all. These were very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, my husband randomly renames recipes too! It helps because he can never remember the real titles so he's left saying things like, "you know, that stuff you made once with the thing..."

    ReplyDelete