Thursday, October 15, 2009

msc: pumpkin patch cupcakes (aka MY PICK!)

Photobucket

Yeah! My pick. This is the first time (in my short food blogging adventures) of getting to pick a recipe. So if you hated these you can blame me and the little pumpkin decorations. It was the pumpkins that drew me in. I won't feel bad if you leave me sad faces in the comments. I also picked these because I wanted something that was season appropriate. Nothing screams fall like pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.

Photobucket

So after I totally rocked it in the kitchen and made the best pumpkin patch cupcakes ever I realized that I totally forgot to take any action shots. Now you probably don't believe me that these were the best pumpkin patch cupcakes ever. You'll just have to trust me.

Photobucket

I only made half of the recipe since a full recipe makes 32. That's a lot of cupcakes. I also made a half recipe of the cream cheese frosting. Martha's cream cheese frosting recipe makes a ridiculous amount of frosting. But it tastes so good.

Since these were my pick I figured I had to at least try and attempt the marzipan pumpkin decoration. I did not however attempt to make my own marzipan. I picked up a tube of marzipan at Whole Foods. I colored about 2/3 of the marzipan with red and yellow gel food coloring to make orange for the pumpkins. I tinted the remaining marzipan with green food coloring. To make the cute little pumpkins you roll the orange marzipan into approximately 3/4 inch balls. You then make a little hole in the top and press a toothpick along the sides from top to bottom to make the pumpkin ridges. I tried to find a leaf cutter at Michael's and then Williams Sonoma with no luck. All the leaf cutters I found were huge. I thought about cutting out my own leaves but went the lazy route and decided to just make stems. These are pumpkin patch cupcakes that have been cut from the vine and are now sitting on straw bales waiting to be picked by some cute little tot.

Does anyone like the taste of marzipan? I can't stand it. Pete didn't like it either. The pumpkins ended up in the trash but at least they looked cute first.

Photobucket

I've had some issues with just slathering frosting on cupcakes. Last time I did that with this cream cheese frosting my cupcakes looked like they were wearing helmets. Not an attractive look. This time I decided I would pipe it on and then place the little pumpkins in the center. Pete was impressed with my mad decorating skills. The pumpkins were really easy to make and would be a great activity for kids to help with. Anyone have a kid I can borrow to make more of these pumpkins?

Photobucket

So you are probably wondering how these tasted. They were good. I didn't love them but I found them tasty. Pete did most of the work in the eating department. He loved them. These are a nice fall treat and I think most people would enjoy them. You can find the recipe on page 236 of Martha Stewart's Cupcake book. We are not supposed to post the recipe but I think with some google searches you could find it or you could buy the book.

Thanks everyone for baking along with me this week. I hope you liked these and if not my apologies. Blame the cute little pumpkins. I couldn't resist. Make sure you check out what all the other bakers did with this recipe at MS: Cupcakes Club.

54 comments:

  1. These were a great pick for the season! I love how you got your pumpkins. I didn't figure there was a way in the world I was talented enough to do the marzipan, so I just did sprinkles on the top. I love the look of your pumpkins, so bright and you did a great job showcasing them! Thanks for the pick...it feels like fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim- Thanks so much for picking these! My brothers have been itching at me to make some pumpkin muffins, so now they've got cupcakes, which are ten times better! Yours look awesome, great job on the Marzipan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT PICK! These were literally one of the best cupcakes I've ever tasted! LOVED! Yours look unbelievably amazing!! Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous pick! Thanks for the challenge, and yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, now I'm totally wishing I used marzipan instead of sugarpaste! But in all fairness, the supplies were reaching the use-by date so hey why not eh? Your photos really show off your pumpkin patches just beautifully. OoO It's soo autumn and i'm diggin it. Great cupcake, WTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great pick! I thought they were terrific tasting. I didn't make the marzipan, but yours look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness, your cupcakes look so fantastic!! I soo wanted to make the marzipan pumpkins. Thanks for the pick, they were fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cupcakes were amazing and perfect for Canadian Thanksgiving, thanks so much for a great pick. Your pumpkins look amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think it was the perfect pick! your cupcakes look awesome and your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Fabulous job Kimmie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos look great and I love the pumpkins / piping!!

    I updated my blog to reference your blog, not Karen's (she's November - duh!!)

    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter loves creating stuff like that - so she's available anytime!

    I think these were a great pick - but I happen to love pumpkin desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pick! I thought these were so good as well! I didn't know you could buy marzipan at Whole Foods! They look so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say...your pumpkin patch muffins look like works of art. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I'm so impressed by your marzipan pumpkins! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great Kim. I'm so impressed by your decorating skills!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at you! Your mad decorating skills are quite impressive there, my friend. Pumpkins and all.

    Great, great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a decorator you are! I'm impressed that you even tried the marzipan. Thanks for the good seasonal choice - and I didn't hate the cupcakes...they just weren't my favourite and I will always make my pumpkin muffins instead. And then maybe I will ice them! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your cupcakes look great. They definetly get cuter with the pumpkins on them. Instead of marzipan I had used some leftover marshmallow fondant which tastes more like marshmallow. Thanks for the great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim - these look AWESOME! Truly.. you really went all the way with these. The little pumpkins look fantastic - perfectly shaped. Mine were a little "dry" after making them - so eating them was not that great, I agree. The cakes look very moist - and light. Everything's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made the pumpkins! Wow. We loved this recipe. Thanks for choosing it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great pick! Yours look gorgeous! How do you make your pictures so huge? Seriously, I could take a bite out of the screen.

    I loved making these. Thanks for the awesome pick.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for such a terrific pick! LOVED these cupcakes--they were delicious! Yours look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We loved these cupcakes, very yummy!!! I wish I had tried the marzipan pumpkins, but I only got my book yesterday. Yours look very good and your pumpkins are perfect, nice job and a wonderful fall pick.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delicious choice for the month!!! Love your photo-styling, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These were delicious! Thank you so much for picking them... and for challenging me to make adorable little marzipan pumpkins. It was really fun! And I think the little stems on yours are supercute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved these cuppies! Thanks for the choice! Your pumpkins are adorable! I actually love marzipan...too bad I can't have some of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  28. pretty! you did a great job on the little pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for a great pick, and your pumpkins are SOOOOO... cute!!! They even look nicer than the book!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your little pumpkins are so cute! They look just perfect! I don't like marzipan either, but now I'm inspired to try to make some decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great pick!! Thanks so much! I think that yours turned out fabulous! And I love your pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  34. thanks for the pick kim! these were great and i love your pumpkins! i was too lazy to make them....

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for picking something I never would have picked. I liked them - didnt love them. I love your pumpkins -- they're adorable! I never ever tasted marzipan either. I do want to try it though.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great pick! Love the little pumpkins! I'm glad you made the effort because I didn't! :) - mary

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gret pic for this time of the year. These were really good cupcakes.

    Look forward to your next pic in another group.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hubby said these were the best cupcakes I have ever made. Thanks for a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  39. great pick!! your cupcakes turned out wonderfully - especially the marzipan pumpkins. fabulous pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for hosting! These were a really fun to bake and even more fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you so much for picking this recipe. My co-workers are big fan of my cupcakes, and when I brought this batch to work, they were so pleased. I think these might be the best cupcakes I have ever made. Great pick!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I will loan you my 3 kids to help you make the cute little pumpkins (yours turned out picture perfect!). Great pick. These were fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your cupcakes look gorgeous and your marzipan pumpkins look awesome. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Adorable cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This was a fantastic pick, and I love your marzipan pumpkins! I'm glad SOMEONE tried to make them. I realize I forgot to credit your pick on my blog post, so I'm going to fix that. Thanks for picking these great fall cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  46. So cute! These were fun to prepare and fun to eat. Everybody loved them.
    Thanks for your pick!

    ReplyDelete
  47. kim,

    what size tip did you use to pipe your frosting? loved your pumpkins and your what the whisk logo -- great color combo.

    suzanne of let them eat cake

    ReplyDelete
  48. You really did rock the pumpkin cupcakes! I love marzipan, so I'd take the adorable pumpkins off your hands. Sorry you didn't find the cupcakes amazing in the taste dept, but they clean up in the "most attractive" category! (not in the club, but couldn't resist stopping by this post...)

    ReplyDelete
  49. OH! MY... those are way too cute to eat! Too bad you didn't like marzipan. Perhaps next time you can try marshmallow fondant.

    I can't believe those cutties went in the garbage.
    Well, they made for a smashing (no pun intended! LOL) picture!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great looking cupcakes and your pumpkins look superb! Not sure I'd like to just bite into marzipan myself, but have actually never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm so happy someone made the marzipan pumpkins! They're adorable! Martha would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great choice! I really loved these. Your marzipan pumpkins are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  53. well done with yr pick....absolutely gorgeous even whit the cupcake cut in half.

    ReplyDelete