
This week's recipe, raspberry blanc-manger was chosen by Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy. Check out her site for the recipe. I wish I could tell you how much I loved this but I didn't and it was all gelatin's fault. Ugh. Gelatin. So gross. Why must you smell like what you are? I don't think I've ever cooked with gelatin before. Just made jello which has fruit flavorings masking the icky smells. I was hesitant to use gelatin from the get go because all I can think of is some disgusting rendering plant (I saw one on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe and it was the dirtiest job ever) and hooves. Lots and lots of hooves. Makes me shudder. I sent Pete out with my grocery list and asked him to try to find agar-agar, a nice seaweed alternative but alas he came home with gelatin. I didn't want him to have to make a separate trip to Whole Foods so I decided I would pony up and use it. Pun totally intended. Poor pony. I managed to forget about the origin of gelatin until I warmed it in the mircowave and was hit with a nose full of gelatin "bouquet." Good lord, it smells like hooves. YUCK! So now this dessert just grosses me out. I don't care that it has whipped cream, sugar, almond meal, and raspberries. It's got hooves in it.
I decided I would be a big girl and give it a try. I will concede that it is good and I would like it so much more if I hadn't used gelatin. I didn't let Pete in on any of my insane bias against this poor dessert and he had some and thought it was yummy. He said he could really taste the almonds (not hooves) and really liked the raspberries in it. Even though I thought it was pretty, this is not a dessert I will be making again. I should have made the raspberry sauce but I really didn't want to dirty the blender. A bit lazy this week.
It was one of those baking adventures when it seemed like everything I did created a mess. I had my photography stuff set up on the dining room table with the window open and as I was mixing and stirring my milk/gelatin/almond meal mixture in my icebath the wind blew over my cardboard display and knocked over my beer which went all over the table and Dorie's book. Somehow Dorie's book and beer don't seem like the perfect pair. Messy. Pete being the best husand ever came to my screams and mopped up my mess.
Here is a look at my kitchen after making this "simple" dessert:
A bit of a mess. Pete looked at it and said "not it." Pete and the nannies had a lazy Sunday morning. Charlie is all splayed on Pete's lap to showcase the full extent of his chub. He was also giving me eyes letting me know that he likes Pete THIS much more than me. Whatever, fatty.

And of course, pretty Willa. So tired. Her life is tough. We really work her hard around here. That mess above, yeah, she totally cleaned it.

Make sure you head on over to Tuesdays with Dorie and check out everyone else's raspberry hoof dessert, oops I mean blanc-manger. I'm sure the other bakers have wonderful stories to tell that are a bit more grown-up than mine.



I'm so happy you have enlighten me about great danes being perfect appartment pets! Thanks. Though I don't think bubie will let mehave one in ours in a near futur... bummer.
ReplyDeleteNow... I had always seen macro pics of your cat. Seeing it like that, as a whole... I realise how huge it is! WOW! A small, delicate, dainty and moussy desert for a gigantic cat! The desert is beautiful... the cat... stunning.
Well, it looks absolutely beautiful and I can't smell the horse hooves from here...LOL. Next time I will put my sauce in a pitcher on the side like Dorie suggests, because frankly, my photo looks like some sort of blood letting procedure with all that bright red oozing out of the white. The reason I have my family featured each week eating my food is that there are members of my family and friends from high school that remember when I did not cook anything edible and they demand proof each week that people are actually eating my food...LOL! Your dessert looks wonderful, and if you have the urge to make it again just for fun, send it our way as we enjoyed it very much. Cute pets!
ReplyDeleteIt looks great, Kimmie! I don't see a single hoof in your photos. Did you feed the blanc manger to Chuck? He looks a bit larger since the last time we were over.
ReplyDeleteUm, no drinking beer around your new camera.
Your dessert looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteSorry, that you didn’t love it.
I love your cat!
I didn't appreciate all the dishes or the icky gelatin either. If another gelatin recipe comes up, I'll try out a vegetarian version. But it did taste good!
ReplyDeleteCan I have more hoof please?
ReplyDeleteLOL - Willa would have been tired after the clean-up - I know I was with a similar mess. Your blanc manger looks great, hooves and all.
ReplyDeleteAww your animals are adorable. I am so glad I missed that episode of Dirty Jobs; I shuddered just imagining it. I hope you can try this again with the agar agar. It was pretty good.
ReplyDeleteSorry this one didn't make it on your fab list! I refuse to acknowledge what gelatin is actually made of and didn't happen to smell it while I used it so I actually liked the dessert! =) Maybe it tastes better as ice cream (I noticed a couple ice cream creations and they looked great!)! =)
ReplyDeletePS I'm jealous of your kitchen!
Galloping right along! Brave girl making something you don't like. The dessert looks heavenly despite your reluctance to use the gelatin. Your kitchen is lovely.
ReplyDeleteYou are too funny. Way to stick with the program and make this gelatinous dessert anyway!
ReplyDeleteWhat I want to know is how in the world did "they" figure out hooves make gelatin? Huh? I just don't get it.
I didn't care for the whipped creamy-ness and turned mine into ice cream!
Hahahaha I never thought that my gelatin had a "hoof-like" smell before, but now I am intrigued to smell it again! So sorry you didn't like this one! Hahahaha but the post was too funny!
ReplyDeleteWell, it looks lovely, hooves and all. LOL. Sorry. Gelatin doesn't bother me that much, but I understand your feelings.
ReplyDeleteIt looks great. Too bad it wasn't your thing.
ReplyDeleteSo much of this post had me cracking up. Hooves! Pony puns! The fattest cat I've ever seen! Hilarious. So sorry you didn't love it...gelatin smell IS foul, you have my complete sympathies. The trick is to hypnotize yourself until you forget what it's made of, and then enjoy a biiiig bowl of blanc manger.
ReplyDeleteYou are hilarious!!! Great post and the dessert...wowie! well done! :D
ReplyDeletelooks pretty, but boy am i with ya about the gelatin. at the bakery where i work, we make huge trays of marshmallows using 96 sheets of gelatin! 96 sheets of hot gelatin smells like a slaughterhouse...needless to say, marshmallows turn my stomach. i found with this TWD that vegan plant-based gelatins work pretty well, though.
ReplyDelete