Wednesday, May 6, 2009

thai pizza

The husband keeps on begging me to make thai pizza.  It is one of his favorite dinners. He really loves the peanut sauce and would eat it with a spoon if he could. This recipe has evolved from various peanut sauce recipes I found on the web and different thai pizzas I've had in the past. It might not be authentic but we love it. 

Peanut sauce recipe:
1 cup peanut butter 
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons sriracha hot chili sauce (or any form of chili sauce) or more if you like heat
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 to 1 1/2 limes, juiced
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
2 to 3 tablespoons of cilantro (I love cilantro so I use a lot)
1 to 2 cloves of garlic
1/2 to 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes (depending on how much heat you want)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon of sate seasoning (I use the sate seasoning from Penzey's Spices)


Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth. Taste and add more chili sauce if necessary. I usually end up adding more chili sauce, red pepper flakes and coconut milk based on taste. This makes a boat load of peanut sauce so I split it up and freeze the extra for next time I make the pizza.

The toppings on this pizza are pretty flexible. Due to my undying love for cilantro I sprinkle the pizza with some of this chopped deliciousness. I also like to add chopped cucumber, green onions, red bell pepper, garlic and shredded carrots for pretty colors.

I usually make my own pizza dough but any store bought pizza dough would work fine. Assembly is pretty simple. I lay a thin layer of the peanut sauce and then a little bit of mozzarella cheese. I throw all the toppings on there including shrimp marinated in the sate seasoning. After all the toppings are on I sprinkle more mozzarella on top to hold them all on.

Bake at 500º for 10-15 minutes. It all depends on how well done and crunchy you like your pizza. Slice, serve and enjoy. 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pizza has pushed Mexican food into second place in the list of foods I love the most.

    ReplyDelete