
Willa and I went on a hike early Saturday morning. This weekend it has been hot. Too hot. Even at 7:30 a.m. when we headed out it was already warm. When we came to the top of one hill we found the elusive wild turkey. Wild turkeys are very rare in our parts and it is a real treat to come across them. Some people can spend years hiking the hills and never come across the great wild turkey.
Alright, I'm lying. Turkeys are like pigeons around our house. We usually can't go for a walk up in the hills without running into a pack/flock/herd/gaggle/gang of them. I think I'll go with the term gang of turkeys, only because one time I saw two rival turkey gangs going at it in a field. Even in the condo development we live in the turkeys like to come and visit and leave their stinky tar like poop behind. Since Willa and I were approaching the gang of turkeys this tom turkey decided he had to show us who was boss, hence the upright tail feathers. I tried to get closer but I scared them and they all ran off gobbling into the trees.
Speaking of turkeys. Here are a few shots of my favorite sister-in-law's Great Danes, Cash and Zoe, and of course the biggest turkey of them all, Willa.
Willa is running away from Cash. Their relationship reminds me a lot of Lennie and the rabbits. Cash is so sweet but so giant he sometimes doesn't realize that he could easily crush little Willa. Zoe is too dignified to play in chasing the rabbit game with Cash. Here she is looking like the sweet turkey she is.


Awww, cute post! The dogs look like they're having such a good time.
ReplyDeleteHa! Love the action shot! Willa looks so tiny next to Cash!
ReplyDeleteGreat pics! The action shot is my favorite.
ReplyDelete