
I really wanted to like this pie. What isn’t to like with a graham cracker crust, lime and ginger filling and a meringue topping? But this pie and I were not destined to be great friends.
The lime cream filling process had no major problems except the length of time it took on the stove. My arm was super tired from all that whisking and after approximately 18 minutes or more I gave up despite the temperature only reaching 160. Seriously, it stuck at 160 for over ten minutes. I tasted the cream off the stove and found it to have the perfect flavor, limey but not face-puckering limey.
I’m embarrassed to admit that I messed up a graham cracker crust. Is that even possible? I’ve never made a graham cracker crust before (crazy I know) so I wasn’t quite sure what kind of consistency I needed. My main problem (which was totally my fault) was not measuring the amount of graham crackers. I guesstimated that one packet of graham crackers was 1 ¾ cups. I’m thinking I guesstimated wrong. Super crumbly. I mashed it into the pie plate and it stayed well enough.
I took my cream out of the fridge after being chilled overnight and tried my best to loosen it up. Yeah, not happening. My “cream” had the consistency of refrigerated butter which is not surprising considering it contains 2 ½ sticks. Here I am trying to get the cream out of the whisk.

Meringue was going fine until I put it in the oven. I know not to walk away from meringue but what did I do. I figured I would have a little time to put away some blueberries. Nope. Those few seconds I wasn’t paying attention were the critical ones. After burning my meringue I was bemoaning to Pete about how ugly the pie was. He informed me that I am not a baking multi-tasker, whenever I try to multi-task I end of screwing something up. He has a valid point but still, no pie for him.

I decided to make this for dinner with my brother and his wife before they move away to Idaho. I figured with five mouths I wouldn’t have a lot leftover. Wrong. It just wasn’t a huge hit. I asked if anyone wanted to take some home and I just heard a chorus of "No’s." My main problem with the pie was that I felt like I was eating lime flavored butter. It had the consistency of butter, was smooth like butter, probably because it was butter. It put me off enough that I won’t be making this again.

This pie was not a huge hit and Pete told me today that he couldn’t eat anymore of the leftovers because it reminded him too much of eating butter (FYI, I never told him how much butter was actually in it. I told a small lie and said only two tablespoons when he asked). Oh well, if we liked all the things I baked we would be waddling around the house like Charlie.
Thanks to Linda of Tender Crumb for picking out this week's recipe. Check out her blog for the recipe. Also check out what all the other bakers did with this pie at Tuesdays with Dorie. I'm going to go eat some more butter.

Beautifuly done Kim! Love the lighting in your photos... and their rustic style! Superbe!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you didn't like it- It looks beautiful. I don't think your meringue looks burnt at all- it looks perfect.
ReplyDeleteI left out 2 sticks of the butter and it was really good.
He's just jealous of your multitasking skills. I think it looks great!
ReplyDeleteKim, I still think it looks GREAT! Too bad it wasn't popular at the dinner table. They are spoiled! ;)
ReplyDeleteI didn't like this recipe either, it didn't do justice to the cupcakes. I would have to do some major tweaking myself.
This recipe had it out for you! Too bad it didn't work out, but you're right - you can't like them all. Ha- this should be renamed butter pie!
ReplyDeletei think your meringue looks nice! there's no way i could have gone with the full amount of butter...even though i wound up with a softer cream, i just couldn't do it.
ReplyDeleteSorry you didn't care for it...I had problems with the cream. Your meringue looks so pretty...nice and brown!!
ReplyDeleteToo bad it wasn't a success for you, though I think your meringue looks great!
ReplyDeleteHAHA!!! If ONLY there were two tablespoons in this! The amount of butter was ridiculous! I cut it down by a stick!
ReplyDeleteYour tart looks fantastic - I think your meringue look beautiful! Sorry you didn’t like it.
ReplyDeleteOh no, sorry it wasn't a hit. But hey, it looks great - I don't think you burned your meringue, and with a graham cracker crust, a little crumble here and there is to be expected (you don't want it too buttery either or it becomes hard to cut).
ReplyDeleteI didn't get to make this one, but I hope to soon. And I know I will definitely be cutting back on the butter. Talk about excess, right?? Sorry it wasn't a big hit for you.
ReplyDeleteSorry it didn't work out. I actually thought mine was too sweet and was hoping the butter would cut the sweetness.
ReplyDeleteI love reading about your adventures each week...always fun to check in and see what went on in that kitchen of yours that week! Sometimes if you don't like something, you just don't like it. I wasn't sure, so I made half a pie (7" size) and it disappeared at the first sitting with the guys telling me I should have gone the whole pie...LOL. We did like it but our custard didn't quite look like yours or have to be patted in, so not sure what the difference was. I used a lot of lime juice...yum!
ReplyDeleteOh, is it wrong that I laughed when reading this entry? I didn't mean to laugh at you, but rather WITH you...you're laughing, right? Because, seriously, this pie was a problem child from the start. I pulled mine at 160 because it never got to temperature either, and I used just half a stick of butter (instead of the 2.5) and it was still a butterball. So rest assured, it's not you...it's the pie. At least you got a good blog out of it!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your trials and tribulations with this pie! I have to give huge credit for your effort.
ReplyDeleteThats a beautiful picture. That pie looks so good I am going to have to make it. I found your blog throught love at first bite.
ReplyDeleteI missed you last week (I'm slow), that is too funny calling it butter pie!
ReplyDelete